Thursday, February 25, 2010

I am Sick & Tired!

Ms. Manners is rolling in her grave! I am here to tell you why.
(I must warn you. I may be blunt at times)

So, to set the scene, let me tell you that I had a fabulous time (despite the two women of BOVINE persuasion, wait, I will get to them)at the Keb Mo concert last night at the Granada Theater in Dallas on Lower Greenville. The music was hot, Keb's voice was clear, and the sound was pure Blues. Not one butt in the audience was sitting still. He had us dancing in the aisles! He played for almost 2 hours...amazing! The only thing I could have complained about was the afore mentioned cows standing next to me in the theater.

I don't want to complain, but as I am always in search of a day without stress, I feel it is my duty to appeal to the masses that are constantly texting and / or talking on cell phones during public venues. However before I jump up on my soapbox, I want everyone to know that I am aware there may be times these calls consist of emergencies, nervous mothers, and the occasional collect call after a free photo session in Lew Sterret's House O' Blues from the best friend being held downtown... but I digress. I remember the first moment I realized the annoying buzz in my ear, distracting me from the lyrics to "Suitcase". I look over and there they are, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, yammering away on the cells and speaking so loudly they were causing people to stare. But that wasn't enough! Then it was all about texting and cackling wildly at whatever was read. {{{{SIGH}}}} I had to force myself to remain calm and aloof. I was not alone. Looking around, I caught the hot stares in their direction, hissing whispers, and spluttered coughs covering the occasional bad word lobbied in their direction.

I want to announce that I Am Sick and Tired, Tired and Sick of teenagers and adults alike that continue to disregard me and you and anyone else that can relate to this article: GET OFF THE DAMN PHONE! I am a student living in a one income household, I rescue dogs all the time and need all my extra cash for their care, I am not high maintenance and do not purchase personal items unless absolutely necessary. SO. When I manage to scrape enough money together to go see a concert or a movie I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't text or talk on the phone. Sitting behind someone texting in a dark theater is like having a flashlight directly in your face. And be warned, if I see it and I can reach your chair, I will kick the back of it to let you know I mean business.
Here is a valid question, why would someone like the female hounds last night purchase a ticket and then NEVER pay attention? What a waste of money. But, it is their money and I am not one to judge. But I must ask again, Can you, noisy talker texter guy, please put away your phone for just an hour of two so that I and others like me may enjoy the movie or concert or play or whatever it is we paid hard-earned $$ to enjoy?
Thanks.


"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
~~George Carlin

No comments:

Post a Comment